The implementation of a mammoth African free trade agreement will not begin on July 1 as planned due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus outbreak. “It is obviously not possible to commence trade as we had intended on 1 July under the current circumstances,” Wamkele Mene, Secretary-General of the African Continental Free Trade Area, said during a conference call. Mene did not say whether there was a new targeted implementation date, and left the conference call before the question and answer session, but said he was confident the deal would still go forward. Mene said that as African governments do not have the firepower to launch the same type of economic stimulus packages that the United States and Europe are putting forward to mitigate the economic damage from the coronavirus pandemic, intra-African trade could serve the same purpose. “That’s our stimulus package. That’s how we’re going to get back on track as Africa.” The 55-nation continental free-trade zone would, if successful, create a $3.4 trillion economic bloc with 1.3 billion people across Africa and constitute the largest new trading bloc since the World Trade Organization formed in 1994.
SOURCE: AFRICA NEWS
One of Africa’s Most-celebrated Authors and Playwrights has Died Aged 81
Ethiopian Airliner Accused of Discrimination
What To Do about Khartoum?
Scholars Study the Political Dynamics of West Africa
News App Ensures Nigerians are Informed
Zimbabweans Living in South Africa in Limbo
Uganda’s Pension Market Experiences Significant Growth
The Corner Shop Gets Digitised
Last year, Africa Birthed a lot of Notable Innovations Created by the Younger Generation
Offering Passengers to Seychelles More Travel Options
Tinubu Hits the Ground Running
Russian Minister Makes a Quick Stop in Nairobi