Skip to content

IEC Turns To ConCourt To Keep Zuma From Contesting Upcoming Elections

The Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) has turned to the Constitutional Court with an urgent bid to try and keep former President Jacob Zuma from contesting in the upcoming elections.
 
Earlier this week, the Electoral Court upheld an appeal from Zuma and his uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party against a decision by the IEC to disqualify him because of the 15-month prison sentence he was given in 2021 for contempt of court.
 
Despite the reasons for the ruling not yet having been provided, the IEC has now already lodged an appeal.

In the papers, which were filed with the Constitutional Court on Thursday, IEC chairperson Mosotho Moepya said they have asked for the Electoral Court’s reasons and will file a supplementary affidavit once they’ve received them.
 
He said that they’re “unable to wait for an unknown period” with this being “a pressing matter of national importance that needs to be addressed,” and that if it’s not finalised before the 29 May elections, there’s a real risk of a disputed election outcome.
 
The commission wants the Constitutional Court to issue an order declaring Zuma is not eligible to run and setting aside the Electoral Court’s order.