Situated on the edge of Mouille Point, the lighthouse was first lit in 1824, but the lighthouse had been in the pipeline since 1820. Originally, the lantern and dome were painted in thick yellow and black stripes before being repainted in 1956. Today, the lighthouse – often mistakenly called the Mouille Point lighthouse – sports ruby red and milky white stripes, giving it a distinct candy-like appearance. This is not the only renovation the lighthouse underwent. When it was first lit, its light was only visible for 11km. Since then, it’s been replaced with one revolving beam. Much to the dismay of the locals, a foghorn was also installed that sounded every 30 seconds with a three-second blast, giving it the nickname ‘Moaning Minnie.’ Thankfully, this was replaced with an electric horn in 1986 that still sounds to this day, except with significantly less noise.